3081+3730 worth it?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: 3081+3730 worth it?
From: Jerry Callen <jcallen@Think.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 93 09:40:47 EDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
   From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
   Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 18:56:56 -0500 (EDT)

   I was thinking the system might be better without without the 3081+3730.

   Would a plain mips 3000 40 Mhz + 3010 be cheaper???

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

A raw R3000/3010 requires several carefully timed clock inputs. One of the
BIG advantages of one of the second generation chips, like the R3051/3081
is that all the grotty clock generation is on chip, and the chip takes a
simple, single-phase clock input. I've heard that MIPS had trouble building
R3000 based systems at >25MHz; there's no way I'd try to do a 40MHz system.
Of course, some of the folks on this list may be more macho than I.

<soapbox mode on>

The only way I can believe this project might really fly is to stick with
easy to use parts and keep the design simple. Otherwise it will never get
done.

-- Jerry