Re: video (and more)

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: video (and more)
From: erik@trashcan.hacktic.nl (Erik Bos)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1993 15:05:00 +0611
>> If we just put a connector on the board for vesa then we can have
>> an upgradable video card while concentrating on the important stuff
>> like the cpu, memory, dma etc.
>
>This is another option we should seriously consider. It would also
>solve the ISA vs. proprietary I/O bus controversy.
I would also suggest a VESA slot on the board, an onboard chipset/framebuffer
might be as fast as the current ET4000, S3, or P9000 videochipsets BUT:

1. Does everyone *needs* this accelerated high speed video ?

2. Did anybody ever think about 'upgrading' this mainboard ?

By choosing for a VESA slot everyone can decide for himself if he wants
to spend $25 for a cheap VGA-clone or $250 for a highend accelerated board.

--
Erik Bos (erik@trashcan.hacktic.nl)