Re: SCSI chips, specifically NCR53c{,f}9x family

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: SCSI chips, specifically NCR53c{,f}9x family
From: bob@amscons.amscons.com (Bob Amstadt)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 11:09:32 -0800 (PDT)
> Ok, I called NCR's SCSI division, got some literature on the 53c90
> series, saw that the 53c90 looks like what we wanted, and talked to
> the local NCR distributor, Electrodyne (303)-695-903 for pricing
> information.

Two years ago, I used the 53C94 on a 68k-based controller board.
I never really pushed it to the limit, but it is a good part.
It does however require an external DMA controller (or processor
intervention).

> The host/DMA interface is 8 bits wide, so it's best on an
> 8 bit bus of the 3730.

It actually has 4 different modes:

    1. Single 8-bit bus
    2. Single bus, 8-bit to host, 16-bit to DMA
    3. 8-bit host bus (multiplexed address and data), separate 16-bit DMA bus
       with byte control.
    4. 8-bit host bus (separate address and data), separate 16-bit DMA bus
       without byte control.
--
Bob Amstadt
bob@amscons.com