Re: Crosscompiler

To: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Subject: Re: Crosscompiler
From: Tommy Thorn <tthorn@daimi.aau.dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 15:03:05 +0200
Cc: riscy@pyramid.com
Andreas Busse writes:

 > Quoted from the various GCC-Readme's:
 >
 > > It is possible to use gcc on a mips as a crosscompiler for
 > > whatever, but is *NOT* possible to build a compiler for
 > > target=mips on anything else but a mips.

Partially true.

 > This was at least true for gcc-2.3.1 which we use as
 > a 68k crosscompiler on our Mips's. I don't know if things
 > have changed...

I think the real problem is generating object files in the correct
format. This is not as big a problem for us.

 > That might lead us into trouble. Who has a Mips except me ?
 >
 > Andy

I've just got access to a decstation, and I'm trying to find
out how much is missing before a crosscompilation enviroment is
a reality.

So far I've build a C compiler running on a HP snake generating
Mips assembler. My hope is to be able to make all tools for
a mips simulation enviroment availble on Linux.

/Tommy Thorn