Re: Crosscompiler [was: Bootstrapping [was: IDT 3730...]]

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Crosscompiler [was: Bootstrapping [was: IDT 3730...]]
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 14:37:48 +0200
Hi there !

> Using gcc+binutils to build a cross compiler and a tweeked version
> of spim, we could headstart things like porting libc.
>
> As we approch final specs more hardware could be emulated by
> spim. I might have limited access to a mips machine, so I'll
> start setting up a cross compiler.

Quoted from the various GCC-Readme's:

> It is possible to use gcc on a mips as a crosscompiler for
> whatever, but is *NOT* possible to build a compiler for
> target=mips on anything else but a mips.

This was at least true for gcc-2.3.1 which we use as
a 68k crosscompiler on our Mips's. I don't know if things
have changed...

That might lead us into trouble. Who has a Mips except me ?

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294