Re: Vesa bus.

To: riscy@pyramid.com (project riscy)
Subject: Re: Vesa bus.
From: ronald%csunix.urc.kun.nl@kunrc1.urc.kun.nl (Ronald Schalk)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 11:41:42 +0200 (CET)
Forwarded message:
> From root Fri Jul 02 00:06 MET DST 19
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 22:00:17 +0200
> From: wolff@zen.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
> Subject: Vesa bus.
> To: riscy@pyramid.com
>

> There seems to be a discussion going about adding a "Vesa bus".
> Is this the "Vesa local bus" that current 486 machines are
> equipped with? If so, I thought that this bus was more or less
> exactly the 486 bus interface. Therefore, adding somthing compatible
> with this on another processor would be hard.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.....
>
>                                       Roger.

I don't know this, but I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago (sorry I don't
know where) that VESA local bus is going to end. Why?: Dell computers
was one of the originators of this standard, but recently they seem to
have announced to only support PCI (an intel bus for x86). Well how does
this affect VESA Local bus? Dell sent a letter to other VESA local bus
manufacturers, claiming that by using VESA local bus technology they
infringe on DELL patents. This way Dell wants VESA local bus to die a
soft death. Maybe they're pushed by Intel in doing this, wasn't Intel
the corporation who started all the legal wars recently??
I'm sorry I don't remember where I read this (I read too much lately), but
can anyone confirm this, if so it might be not so smart to use the VESA bus
on this project.

Greetings, still typing this on Linux for the x86 (snif snif)

Ronald Schalk

 * ing. Ronald Schalk                                               *
 * sectie COOS                                                      *
 * Universitair Centrum Informatievoorziening (UCI)                 *
 * Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (KUN)                           *
 * e-mail : R.Schalk@uci.kun.nl   snailmail: Geert Grooteplein 41   *
 * tel.   : +31 80 617993                    6525 GA Nijmegen       *
 * fax   :  +31 80 617979                    Nederland              *