Re: video (and more)

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: video (and more)
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 0:47:47 PDT
> Everyone is discussing the merits of a graphics coprocessor.
> Some people argue that the R3000 will saturate the memory bandwidth anyway,
> so it will be just as fast as a dedicated graphics coprocessor.
> Other argue that in the time that the coprocessor is doing things, the
> R3000 would be free to do other things.
>
> The current tendency is that the graphics moves from dedicated graphics
> processors to the main processor. This is because they can sustain the
> same graphics performance as the graphics processors. On the other hand,
> if you want 150% performance (that is I estimate the "help" of the graphics
> coprocessor at half the power of the main CPU.), why not invest in a
> processor that is 1.5 times faster? In this case the main processor will also
> run your applications 1.5 times faster.

Since the r3k's all have caches, they would all be able to run a bitblt
fast enough to saturate the memory bus with only data transactions (
instructions are all in cache remember).  Therefore its not the CPU speed
that determines graphics speed; its the memory.  I expect that everyone
that cares will buy the fastest memory available.  So your point it moot.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com