Re: IDT 3730 peripheral interface chip

To: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Subject: Re: IDT 3730 peripheral interface chip
From: jeremy@sw.oz.au (Jeremy Fitzhardinge)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 14:21:36 +1000 (EST)
Cc: riscy@pyramid.com
Neil Russell bubbles:
> The decision now is whether we go for it now, using PALs, or wait
> 6 months and use what's available then.  If we wait, there could be
> a real possibility of using the R4200 and getting some real
> performance.  Given the speed that this project is going, it could
> well be 6 months before we are ready anyhow, in which case we
> should design now with the release date set some time around X-mas.

> Comments?

Getting any kind of OS up is going to take at least a couple of months
to get a simple framework up, and more to get a usable system (at a
rough guess).  It seems important to get a prototype system up quickly
for doing software on, even if the first saleable thing is not until
next year.  I don't think much can be done without hardware, tho the
assembler code can be rewritten and the kernel can be got compilable,
given a reasonable spec of the hardware.