Re: MIPS 4000 cheaply!!!!

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: MIPS 4000 cheaply!!!!
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 15:18:27 PDT
>     As I understand it, 3.3V and 5V stuff have the same histeresis levels,
>     so can interface directly.  If that is not the case, there is certainly
>     parts around that are designed to interface 3.3V to 5V.
>
> Many of our other chips (ie, the NS UARTs, 8390, etc) are available
> in 5V only.  How hard is it to interface 3.3 to 5V?  Is the R4200
> available in 5V?  What about pricing on other MIPS R4000 series
> chips with a reduced bus?

3.3V is to reduce power consumption, which in turn allows the CPU to go
faster.  The top of the line R4200 would only be available in 3.3V.

The *only* information I have on this is the article that was posted
here in this list.  I will (probably next week) try to get information
out of MIPS (SGI).  Last time I called SGI though, it was a nightmare.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com