Re: MIPS 4000 cheaply!!!!

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: MIPS 4000 cheaply!!!!
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 14:29:36 PDT
> I see is that it works at 3V and the price 55$ is great in comparison
> to the R3K, I guess we should wonder if the R3K doesn't become obsolete.
> I mean how long will it be produced, the same is happening now with the
> 386sx and 386dx, they are either out of production, or soon to be dropped.
> I'm totally guessing now, but how long does this project take, half a year?
> I guess that's not discussed yet, I believe.

As I understand it, 3.3V and 5V stuff have the same histeresis levels,
so can interface directly.  If that is not the case, there is certainly
parts around that are designed to interface 3.3V to 5V.

$55 is probably in very large quantities.  We could probably expect to
pay a lot more.  Still it may be no more than the $300 we are expecting
to pay for the 3081E.

If we use this chip, we will have to put this project on hold for 6 months
at least.  However, given the problems I'm having trying to get hold
of info and stock of the IDT 3730, we might have to do this anyhow.
Details on the IDT 3730 will follow soon.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com