Re: video (and more)

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: video (and more)
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 14:18:55 PDT
> Neil said:
> > > regards, Mark Hahn.
> >
> > Also, there are algorithms that when combined with an instruction cache
> > (which our r3k's have) that will bitblt at 100% of the memory bandwidth
> > once the code is in the I-cache.  That is, we can easily equal the
> > performance
> > of a hardware blt'er.
> >
> Maybe so, but in the meanwhile the processor cannot do diddly with your
> programs and kernel, so IMHO it's better to have a graphics coproc to
> cover the video part (that's what it's designed for) and leave the R3K do
> the real job: run programs.

Unless you have a CPU doing the whole job of maintaining the display,
there is always stuff the CPU needs to do.  If you have an accelerator,
then it probably does almost every operation quickly enough to make
it pointly for the main CPU to try and do something else at the same
time.  So you goin little.  The only truely useful accelerator (IMHO)
is another CPU (3041?).

(Note:  I'm still kind of busy making money; I needed a break, and thought
I'd do some babbling...)

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com