Re: video (and more)

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: video (and more)
From: ronald%csunix.urc.kun.nl@kunrc1.urc.kun.nl (Ronald Schalk)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 22:42:50 +0200 (CET)
Neil said:
> > regards, Mark Hahn.
>
> Also, there are algorithms that when combined with an instruction cache
> (which our r3k's have) that will bitblt at 100% of the memory bandwidth
> once the code is in the I-cache.  That is, we can easily equal the performance
> of a hardware blt'er.

Maybe so, but in the meanwhile the processor cannot do diddly with your
programs and kernel, so IMHO it's better to have a graphics coproc to
cover the video part (that's what it's designed for) and leave the R3K do
the real job: run programs.

Ronald Schalk

 * ing. Ronald Schalk                                               *
 * sectie COOS                                                      *
 * Universitair Centrum Informatievoorziening (UCI)                 *
 * Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (KUN)                           *
 * e-mail : R.Schalk@uci.kun.nl   snailmail: Geert Grooteplein 41   *
 * tel.   : +31 80 617993                    6525 GA Nijmegen       *
 * fax   :  +31 80 617979                    Nederland              *