Re: video (and more)

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: video (and more)
From: berge@sierra.nl (Wim van den Berge)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 18:22:28 +0200
--- Peter J. Holzer wrote ---

> Personally I think that the MIPS CPU is
> fast enough to saturate the memory bandwidth of the frame buffer, so we
> won't gain much performance from an accelerator.

Personaly I think you're wrong, I think there is plenty to be gained from
a graphics solution which contains a hardware BITBLT and LINE DRAW engine.
If I remember correctly these two functions comprise between 50 and 85 percent
of the overhead in a non accelerated windows environment. That a lot, even for
the fast MIPS CPU.

        Wim van den Berge
        Sierra Semiconductor B.V.
        Tel    : +31 73 408888                     (:>    \/\/i/\/\
        Fax    : +31 73 423155                    (_)
        E-mail : berge@sierra.nl           =======""======