To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: FDC/UART
From: rei2!tsprad@uunet.UU.NET (6692)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 15:39:09 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> > [stuff regarding the SMC Super I/O FDC/UART/IDE chip deleted]
> >
> > That's GREAT!!
> >
> But using this chip should *not* force another discussion wether
> we need SCSI or not. SCSI is a *must* and is already accepted,
> so far I know.
> This chip just offers the choice between SCSI and IDE drives,
> and this by accident. If there were the same chip without IDE
> for $5 less, I would take it. But this isn't the case.
> The chip will save one ISA slot. It will save one double-UART
> or two single-UARTs, it will save two 20pin DIL-parts, it will
> save a FDC and it will save some glue. I would say, it *does*
> save real estate for a reasonable price.
> Cheers,
> Andy
Yes!  This is exactly my thinking.  This chip gives us two fast
UARTS for no extra cost in board real estate.  As a _bonus_, it gives
us a bi-directional parallel port and a floppy controller for only
the cost of the connectors.  Even an IDE adapter if we can find room
for that connector, too.  I think this chip (what was it ??C655 ?)
is great, and will be a big help.

I also think it is great to have a manufacturer that is willing and
able to do surface mount, so that chips like this are accessible to
us.  Thanks, Andy!

I do _not_want_ to give up the ISA expansion bus.  I'm just concerned
that we're specifying a lot of _big_ connectors on a finite size
board.  These connectors are all through-hole, too, aren't they?
That means they take up space on both sides of the board, so you
can't even put surface mount parts on the other side of the board
from the connectors.

Ted Spradley   Recognition International, Inc.  Opinions are mine, not theirs.
2701 E Grauwyler Rd. |Your productivity is not enhanced when you're staring
Irving TX 75061      |at that thing.  Your productivity is enhanced when
214-579-6692         |the computer is working and you're doing something else.