SIMMs

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: SIMMs
From: Jerry Callen <jcallen@Think.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 15:47:06 EDT
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
   From: rohrer@fncrd8.fnal.gov (Keith Rohrer)
   Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 13:48:22 -0600 (CDT)

   >   - Will the 18 components in small surface mount packages use less
   >     real estate than 8 SIMM sockets?
   How can they?  You're talking about laying that number of SIMMS down flat on
   the motherboard, instead of mounting them nearly perpendicular...

ZIPs (which are thru-hole, not SMT) stand up vertically and are VERY dense.

   How do you replace a bad chip?  How do you even swap the chips around to try
   to see which ones are bad?

You either use ZIP sockets or (my preference) you just solder the suckers
to the board like any other component and it either works or not. You're
buying tested parts; if you handle them properly, they should work. People
seem willing to trust that other components will work; why not DRAM?

I think the idea of having a base amount of memory and then SIMMs for
expansion is potentially very sound.

   >   - If one makes as few as 56 boards you break the 1000's in the DRAM count
   >     (which gets you to the first cost break).  But cost-wise how does this
   >     compare to SIMMs?
   Can we also get the SIMMs in huge quantities?

Undoubtedly, assuming we have the buyers.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@world.std.com           (preferred)
   jcallen@think.com               (OK, too)
   {uunet,harvard}!think!jcallen   (if you must)