Re: FDC/UART

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: FDC/UART
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 16:48:15 +0200
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> [stuff regarding the SMC Super I/O FDC/UART/IDE chip deleted]
>
> That's GREAT!!
>
> >Price is around $23 in low quantities (1...10)
> >
> >What do you think about ?

> Although the price is a little bit high, can we use this multi-purpose
> chip instead of SCSI + UART + PAL (for parallel port)?  I like 16550,
> I like bi-directional parallel port, and I have IDE drives.

> Will this chip save us bucks + real estate?

The price is for low quantities, without asking for a better one.
I think in higher quantities and after some discussion it will be
around $19 or so.
But using this chip should *not* force another discussion wether
we need SCSI or not. SCSI is a *must* and is already accepted,
so far I know.
This chip just offers the choice between SCSI and IDE drives,
and this by accident. If there were the same chip without IDE
for $5 less, I would take it. But this isn't the case.

The chip will save one ISA slot. It will save one double-UART
or two single-UARTs, it will save two 20pin DIL-parts, it will
save a FDC and it will save some glue. I would say, it *does*
save real estate for a reasonable price.

Cheers,

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294