wishlist

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: wishlist
From: rei2!tsprad@uunet.UU.NET (6692)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 23:02:09 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> Add to this: file transfer via SneakerNet, and use of those cheap floppy-
> controller tape drives.  I have never seen a SCSI tape drive that was on
> the order of $300 with a 120 meg pre-compression capacity, and sometimes
> sneakernet or mailing floppies is the Right Way to move data (moving an
> SLS distribution from the office to home, without fone bill, for example...).

I didn't imagine that these would ever be the only computer in the
room, at least not in the next couple of years.  A fast serial port
and a cable is much simpler to get working than a foreign floppy file
system exchange.

Is there a free device driver for QIC-117 (floppy interface) tape
drives that works reliably yet?  I'd bet that even when there is it
won't be very portable.

I have a Wangtek QIC-525 SCSI tape drive that I bought for US$250,
but that was very lucky.

Am I wrong about the riscy board NOT being the only computer in the
room, even in a corner of a bedroom?

--
Ted Spradley   Recognition International, Inc.  Opinions are mine, not theirs.
2701 E Grauwyler Rd. |Your productivity is not enhanced when you're staring