Re: Design choice/vote PRELIMINARY

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Design choice/vote PRELIMINARY
From: rohrer@fncrd8.fnal.gov (Keith Rohrer)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 15:27:32 -0800 (PDT)
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> > > Sim slots:  How much do you want to pay?  How much do you have room for?
> > >
> > > 4 simm slots $XXX
> > I take it this means 1 bank?
> Well I guess so... why is it important?
>
> > Does this assume we'll accept 1MBx9, I hope?
>
> Hmm I guess but it seems a waste, we will probably end up with 8 simm
> slots and putting only 8 MB in a unix machine with a video card
> and faster then a 486 is strange.  Keep in mind risc code takes up 40% more
> ram then cisc.  So a mips+8 mb = 486 with 6 MB which is very marginal
> for running X11.
Some of us don't have the money to spend on 4x4MB of RAM, or we'd've done it
already!  I certainly don't have enough to buy this board, AND pay another
$500 (best price I've found so far: $552 + shipping...) for RAM.  Sorry,
it's either migrate the memory I've got, or stay with my PC.

> > > Nice for those with ram already.  Although other simms allow 4x density
> > >
> > ISA:
> > These had better be "16-bit" slots...
> Hadn't really thought about it.
Actually, nevermind, if people were thinking 8-bit slots they'd've been
suggesting "xt-bus"...

> > If these aren't available, where's the mouse to be hooked up?
> And ISA serial card.
Assuming we don't vote down both ISA and the onboard serial ports...

        Keith