Re: ease of implementation, optional features, etc.

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: ease of implementation, optional features, etc.
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 12:25:25 +0200
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> To all that are worried about the analog side of Ethernet, it's really
> not a problem - You just follow the App note like the man says.  Most
> controllers provide an AUI (15 pin style) port.  It is relatively trivial
> to add on-board Twisted-pair or Thinnet connections.  Some controllers like
> the
> Nat Semi AT?LANTIC provide the twisted pair xcvr in the chip so you get
> twisted-pair and AUI.  Coax is extra.  Also most PC ethernet controllers
> are reasonable simple to hook to a 3051 if you are willing to ignore having
> all the regisers in exactly the place you would expect them.

I don't mind where the registers are as long I can access them :-)

> As for whoever said the solution could be under $30 on the motherboard
> - NOT!  most reasonable chips are $20-$30 in 1000s quantity - how are
> we going to get the whole shot in $30?

Sorry, I've said that bullshit. Of course, you're right. It will be
more expensive, but we have still the option to let the sockets empty.

> I will volunteer to design the ethernet I/F, although it will be
> tough to coordinate from CA.  I would propose a AUI/coax system
> with an optional twisted pair interface unless the ethernet of choice
> has twisted pair on-board.  I like the nat semi AT/LANTIC since it is
> based on the venerable 8390 and has twited pair already.

For me even coax-only would be ok, but AUI doesn't cost much more,
primarily the 15pin sub-D connector.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294