Re: My updated wishlist

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: My updated wishlist
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 12:05:14 +0200
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> [lots of stuff I agree with deleted]
> * Timers.. I may have missed something, but don't we need some kind of
>  timers to provide interrupts for the time slicing etc.  I would also like
>  to play around with some high-definition timers (what about RT-Linux..).
>  Are there any built-in timers able to provide interrupts inside one of
>  those smart I/O chips already mentioned?

Timers would be quiet good, at least one dumb MC6840 (slow 8bit stuff)
for 70 cents or so. Perhaps a cheap Intel chip would also be ok.
The 3730 contains two counters, one 9bit "timeout counter" intended
to be used for signaling bus and dma cycle timeout and one 27bit counter for
general purpose. I don't know if the RTclock can generate interupts for
scheduling and so on, but if this is the case we would already have one
free timer.

> * Keyboard controller on board, for IBM style keyboards (could it handle
>  PS/2 style keyboards?)

I don't see any reason why we should support PS/2 style keyboards.

> * Bus: I don't care actually, with the above I don't need much more.
>   The only thing I could think of would be a floppy interface, to boot my
>   root/boot floppy when I screwed up something.

Someone mentioned that we could use a $15 ISA multi-I/O card with
integrated floppy controller. I can't imagine that we could make it cheaper.
One point more for ISA.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294