IDE, floppies, serial & stuff

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: IDE, floppies, serial & stuff
From: af4@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 93 03:25:14 +0100
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
We appear to be homing in on the idea of implementing an ISA bus, albeit
with the tricky bits chopped off. If we go along with this, might I suggest
we use one of those cheapo IDE multi-I/O cards for the floppy controller,
IDE hard disk controller, parallel port and additional serial ports? I'm
suggesting that we include this as a standard extra, bundled with the
motherboard. I'm sure this would keep the IDE people amongst us happy, and
would be cheaper than designing our own. An IDE multi-I/O card costs about
10 UK pounds ($15 US) over here, and all of the connectors alone would cost
around 20 UK pounds! We could probably get them a few cents cheaper too, if
we're ordering a batch of 100 or so.

Andy.