ease of implementation, optional features, etc.

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: ease of implementation, optional features, etc.
From: adyer@zarniwoop (Andrew Dyer)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 93 09:53 PDT
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
To all that are worried about the analog side of Ethernet, it's really
not a problem - You just follow the App note like the man says.  Most
controllers provide an AUI (15 pin style) port.  It is relatively trivial
to add on-board Twisted-pair or Thinnet connections.  Some controllers like the
Nat Semi AT?LANTIC provide the twisted pair xcvr in the chip so you get
twisted-pair and AUI.  Coax is extra.  Also most PC ethernet controllers
are reasonable simple to hook to a 3051 if you are willing to ignore having
all the regisers in exactly the place you would expect them.

As for whoever said the solution could be under $30 on the motherboard
- NOT!  most reasonable chips are $20-$30 in 1000s quantity - how are
we going to get the whole shot in $30?

I will volunteer to design the ethernet I/F, although it will be
tough to coordinate from CA.  I would propose a AUI/coax system
with an optional twisted pair interface unless the ethernet of choice
has twisted pair on-board.  I like the nat semi AT/LANTIC since it is
based on the venerable 8390 and has twited pair already.

Whaddaya think?