Re: Should we have SCSI?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Should we have SCSI?
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 16:19:39 PDT
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
>    From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
>    Date: Sat, 3 Jul 93 21:27:23 PDT
>
>    In my opinion, Adaptec have one of the best SCSI controllers that you
>    can get for a PC like machine.  Why is it good?  It provides master
>    DMA, scatter/gather modes, etc.
>
> Sounds great, but you forgot to mention the part number! :-)
>
> Seriously:
>
> - What part are you thinking of?
>
> - Is it easy to get in small quantities?
>
> - How easy is it to glue to a 3051 memory bus? I looked at the NCR 53C710 a
>   while back, and it would have been a pain to glue to the bus.
>
> - Got a number for Adaptec so I can get the doc?

I was refering to the 1542, 1742, etc boards.  I called Adaptec and was told
that they did not sell any of their chips; just boards.  Despite this
I have seen Adaptec chips on disk drives, and maybe one or two other
places, but the point still stands: we cannot use Adaptec at all.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com