Re: Ethernet on the motherboard?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Ethernet on the motherboard?
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@caesar.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1993 15:05:44 -0600
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
    > The real question though is that if an ISA bus is provided, will
    > a motherboard solution provide so much extra gain in performance to
    > justify not using an ISA card?

    I believe cost favours the m/board approach.

Agreed.

    > Also, there are many problems getting a reliable Ethernet sub-system
    > (as some here have suggested).  Do we really want to get involved
    > with debugging Ethernet hardware?

Remember APPLICATION NOTES.  The sample implementation *will*
work.

    Another question is:

      10BaseT or 10Base2 or AUI?

I'd vote for a Thinnet/AUI jumper selectable configuration.  Thinnet
is cheap to wire, although trancievers are about $60 if you buy in small
quantities, and it just takes another connector and a block of jumpers
to have AUI too.

    I think the NatSemi DP8390 would give us good bang for our buck.

Agreed.  You think the dual-port memory approach is the way to go?

    A dip
    version (48-pin DIP) is available.  Optional population (again) is a
    reasonable idea for the buyers, but is going to become intractible for
    the producer.

The Nat. Semi part 8390 is available in both PLCC and DIP parts, the former
will use less realestate though.