Re: Should we have SCSI?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Should we have SCSI?
From: tim@ubitrex.mb.ca (Tim Braun)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 14:57:52 CDT
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
> SCSI on the motherboard:

> For those wanting SCSI, the motherboard wins hands down.

I definitely agree.  And the proliferation of CD-ROM is
going to make SCSI more desirable through the next 3-5 years.

The part could be socketed, though PLCC sockets drive me up
the wall around here with unreliable connections.

There are a number of SCSI controller chips worth looking
at, including the NCR 5380 and derivatives (including the
NatSemi DP8490) and the Western Digital 33c93 and derivatives.

I would tend towards the 5380 type, as they are multiple sourced
(cheap), well-known (Seagate ST-01), and can provide reasonable
performance.  PLCC packages are common.

Tim Braun                          |
Ubitrex Corporation                | Voice: 204-942-2992 ext 228
1900-155 Carlton St                | FAX:   204-942-3001
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 3H8 | Email: tim@ubitrex.mb.ca