IDT7370

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: IDT7370
From: Jerry Callen <jcallen@Think.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 13:47:20 EDT
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
   Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 22:39 PDT
   From: zarniwoop!adyer@world.std.com (Andrew Dyer)

   I still like the idea of using the LSI Logic family instead of the
   IDT.  For a project like this they have some advantages - mostly that
   the DRAM and bus sizing stuff is on-board.

I can't find the info I used to have on this chip family. I seem to recall
that the bus sizing stuff is very limited; basically, it lets you use a
narrow (8-bit) boot device, and that's it. But I could be wrong.

Are the FPU and non-FPU versions pin compatible?

   ...they all have a 4k/1k i/d cache and come in PGA packaging. (No lousy
   84PLCC sockets!)

Why is PGA a virtue and PLCC "lousy?" My one experience trying to remove a
high pin count PGA from a socket was not good, whereas I've pulled PLCCs
without hassle. PGA is more expensive to manufacture, too.

-- Jerry