Re: Board production WHOOAAA!

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Board production WHOOAAA!
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 10:38:53 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com

> How did we suddenly get a commercial exploitation of this voluntary effort
> in the picture!  If we are opening the floor for commercial bidders, I
> suggest we do just that!!! OPEN THE FLOOR!

Since a company offered to provide free serivces to help in a GPL design
of a mips based unix box.  If you find others please let us know.

> Don't get me wrong, I am all for commercial exploitation... if those exploited
> earn something for their labors (its called a job)!  Volunteers should have a
> clear picture of who is gaining from their altruism.

This is true, but those volunteers also have to appreciate services
that aren't for free like building a motherboard with SMT chips.

> If we are entertaining bids for commercial partners who earn profit by
> moving this board and Linux port into commercial areas, then perhaps we
> should set some guidlines for such bids and accept open public (net email)
> bids.
By my understanding Waldorf has offered to help in the design for free.
Since it's going to be GPL you can easily request the design and build
it yourself.

> I for example may be interested in such a venture if there is
> potential for profit!  I work as a contract SW jock and have in the past
> collaberated with HW jocks and FAB shops for PCB production.

Well help in the design (which has already been volunteered) and when
production starts put in a bid.)

I would personally favor any board produced by design particpants
then a profit motivated source.

Waldorf has alot to gain from this, access to a mips designed
motherboard for there own purposes, and we have alot to
gain from them (access to there production facilities) sounds like
a great partnership.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu