waldorf/board production

To: riscy@pyramid.com (Mips 3000)
Subject: waldorf/board production
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 10:29:00 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
Having Waldorf produce the boards seems like a great idea, that will give
the project more freedom of design.

Bt my understanding GPL says nothing about no profit.  (I'm open to correction).

The way I understand it is a company can sell a piece of software under GPL
for any amount of money, but source must be made available, and the company
can't forbid you to copy/distribute it.

So I would think if your going to require Waldorf to produce boards at no
profit don't justify it with GPL.

It seems Waldorf has alot to offer: smt, design skills, more clout with
parts suppliers, etc.  In the original design we were going to
pay a company to produce the boards at a profit, why is it different
with Waldorf?

Last thing I would want to happen is have Waldorf withdrawl from there
offer because of the potential costs to them.   I.e. email/phone support,
warranty.

In summary I'm 100% for Waldorf's participation in the project.
--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu