Board production

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Board production
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 14:45:27 +0200
Cc: andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
Dear Mipsers !

You may have recognized that "Oooops" mail...

We, ie. Neil and me, had a discussion about the production
of the riscy board because Waldorf Electronics (the
company I'm working for) is interested in manufacturing
the boards and in doing some CAD work.

The discussion is still in progress and wether Waldorf
will produce the boards or not depends obviosly on what
the whole group thinks about that.

Perhaps I have to introduce Waldorf Electronics here.
Waldorf is a small company developing and producing
synthesizers and peripherals for the music market.
We normally have *nothing* to do with the workstation
and Un*x market, we just use our Mips machines as
development systems.

We are interested in the riscy board and a Linux port
because we are looking for a Un*x kernel and matching
hardware as the base for a kind of a new synthesizer.
Please excuse that I can't tell you much about that thing.
It's confidential and my boss would simply kill me for
a single word more.

We are highly interested in seeing this project succeed,
and I will do some work on it during my daytime job
and at home too.

However, a possible scheme could be:

- Waldorf designs the PCB (this would be our part of CAD work)

- Waldorf produces either complete boards for the
  international market or complete boards only for
  the european market and partly assembled ones for
  oversea.

- SMD is now ok.

- We provide warranty and email support.

- Neil might be the USA distributor of the riscy board.

- The "virtual hardware GPL" stays intact.

- We do not claim any rights on the design violating the GPL.

- We would use the design as the base for some further
  development.

I hope that we all find a way satisfying each member of
the riscy group and each customer too. Please let Neil
and me know what you think about.

If you have further questions about Waldorf Electronics,
feel free to ask. I'll try to answer if I can.

Bye,

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294