Re: Crosscompiler

To: riscy@pyramid.com, tim@ubitrex.mb.ca (Tim Braun)
Subject: Re: Crosscompiler
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@kinglear.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1993 17:29:46 -0600
Sender: riscy-request@pyramid.com
    > Tommy Thorn writes:
    > > I've just got access to a decstation, and I'm trying to find
    > > out how much is missing before a crosscompilation enviroment is
    > > a reality.
    > I seem to recall that DEC changed the endian-ness of the MIPS on the
    > decstations, so as to be more compatible with VAXes. If so, the tools
    > will not be compatible with the 'real' MIPs tools.
    >
    >           Andy..

    The MIPS and SGI boxes configured the MIPs chips for big-endian.  DEC
    configured the MIPs chips in the DECstations as little-endian, to match
    the VAX.  Which also matches the PDP-11.  It so happens that Intel made
    the 8085/8088/80386 little-endian as well.  So linux is little-endian,
    and we may want to make linux/MIPs little-endian, to reduce portability
    problems (file system structures, etc).

The only problem you get by having MIPS / i386 Linuxen be different endianness
are that their filesystems aren't interchangeable.  IMHO, since you aren't
going to run a i386 binary on a MIPs... this isn't a real problem.

I think that MIPs Linux should be Big Endian, because the MIPs SYSV ABI
is big endian and this lets us run commercial MIPS ABI applications.