Re: Radical video idea

To: caret@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Radical video idea
From: Pat Mackinlay <SMACKINLA@cc.curtin.edu.au>
Date: 29 Jun 1993 13:27:19 +0800
Cc: riscy@pyramid.com
>If we add a 3041 as Steve has been suggesting, why not have it
>generate all the timing signals for the video itself?  This CPU

I have only one thing to say about this idea: yuk! <grin> I would also have
to say that personally, I wouldn't want to write the various interrupt
handlers. Can you imagine what would happen when the thing crashed?

>For that matter, why not have it deal with the keyboard directly
>also?  The hard thing about the IBM style keybaords is that they

I think it might be better to use (if absolutely necessary) a PIC to handle
the keyboard. It would be better to use an 8041, as in the AT, but I have
no idea about prices.

>If the software is going to be so real time as we suggest, then
>maybe it could also do the necessary cycles to refresh DRAM.

This is getting worse and worse <grin>. Again, what happens when the 3041
crashes? I shudder to think... Interrupt latency takes on a whole new
meaning...

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
        my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r