Re: simple ISA question

To: Steven.D.Ligett@dartmouth.edu (Steven D. Ligett)
Subject: Re: simple ISA question
From: rohrer@fncrd8.fnal.gov (Keith Rohrer)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 13:33:37 -0600 (CDT)
Cc: riscy@pyramid.com
> All these ISA boards everyone has -- are they 16 or 8 bit?  Doing the little
> 8-bit bus would be simpler.
Well, then you'll need to put IDE on the motherboard.

> I had this idea of doing a simple 16-bit 3051 I/O bus, with a daughterboard
> that converted to ISA for those who want it.  The ISA cards would plug in
> sideways.  Several computers do such a thing.  Getting a box with sideways
> cutouts would then be the hard task!
Yup, there goes the standard PC case, so anyone who wants to use their PC
components has to pay another $100 for a non-PC case.  This just sounds
outright dumb.  And knowing how reluctant some ISA cards have been to seat
themselves properly, I see lots of breakage on the edge connector between
the motherboard and the ISA card.  Lots and lots of breakage.

        Keith