Re: Response to lots of mail

To: jcallen@Think.COM
Subject: Re: Response to lots of mail
From: Pat Mackinlay <SMACKINLA@cc.curtin.edu.au>
Date: 29 Jun 1993 23:40:05 +0800
Cc: riscy@pyramid.com
>OK, I'll stop lurking.

Welcome to the party line Jerry <grin>.

>Personally, I'd like a cheap, compact system that runs some Unix variant
>and has a simple expansion bus that I can build toys for. I'm mostly a
>programmer, but I like to build silly little toys in my attic.  For MY
>goals, Steve's proposal makes sense:

Agree. This is pretty much what I'm after too. Personally, the previous
design we had was pretty close, but I like the idea of using the 3730
rather than a 3041. If we can get the dedicated chip, it will make the
board considerably less complex (there's that word again <grin>).

>than you get with the default 30x1 scheme using WRNEAR. For MY goals, one
>bank of SIMMs that accepts 1/4/16Mb parts gives me enough flexibility.

This is reasonable in my mind, but I think going to two banks is a
worthwhile investment if interleaving is available (ie: we use a 3730).
Again, if we do use the 3730, it can't handle 16M SIMMs, so the two bank
option is pretty essential I think...

>Now you all know what _I_ am interested in. What about the rest of you?

I like this general direction, and if you've read my previous message,
I think you'll find that it's pretty close. Personally, I want a little
system that's capable of running a Unix variant, has 486ish performance and
it architecturally "nice". I also want to be able to make toys. I think
that puts Steve, Jerry and myself on the same wavelength?

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
        my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r