cpu's (short)

To: riscy@pyramid.com (Mips 3000)
Subject: cpu's (short)
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 10:48:53 -0500 (EDT)
I was thinking of trying to sell people on the up and coming powerpc 601.
Especially since the IDT 79R3730 isn't released yet.

50 Mhz price is $280, will probably work at 40 Mhz, Motorolla just joined
the GCC consortium so I assume gcc will work very soon (if aix gcc doesn't
port trivally).  It has alot of nice features including a nice 32k on chip
cache. (and I bought the manual, anyone have projected availability?)

But then I looked at the performance numbers:
                Specint92   Specfp92
Dec 5240        27.3        29.9   <-  similiar to planned 3081 I hope
Powerpc 40      30.30       48.48 adjusted to 40 Mhz, not much better $280
Powerpc 66      50          80    $400
Pentium 66      64.5        56.9  $1000

Considering the increased design problems, hardware and software support
it doesn't seem worth it for the small performance jump.  (No non-fp either)

It was worth a try.  Hmm maybe the powerpc 66 at $400 and run it to the memory
at 33 Mhz.... (again probably to expensive).

I was surprised at how close the powerpc at 40Mhz is to the 3081 at 40Mhz
--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu