Sims, bus

To: riscy@pyramid.com (Mips 3000)
Subject: Sims, bus
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 08:40:23 -0500 (EDT)
We have a gateway with 36 pin sims, and 4 sim slots, it handles 8 MB,
16 MB, 32 MB, 40 MB, and 64 Mb I believe.  Is handling 16 Mb sims expensive?
I suspect this isn't possible with the IDT 79R3730.

Was does 2 way interleave mean?  I need 4 simms of the same size, or 8 to take
advantage of it.   Will it work with less without 2 way interleave? How much of
a performance penalty?

Seems like the IDT79R3730 can support 2 seperate dma channels for slower
devices.  What's the benefit with going with a 10 Mhz 16 bit proprietary bus?
Especially if we have to make all the cards that fit it ourselves, and we won't
be bandwidth limited by ISA anyways?   I realize it will be less complex (with
less functionality), and take up less board space (not critical)

I think a motherboard with 16 sims slots, 4-5 isa slots, scsi and video on
board would provide a balanced expandable system.  Net people would by a net
card (maybe serial/parallel/floppy also), modem people would buy a 2 or 4 port
card with parallel and floppy.

The motherboard would be as small and simple as possible while not sacrificing
any performance or expandability.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu