Re: 34010 X compiler, mailing lists

To: SunSite.unc.edu!ewt@informatik.ee.edag.de, pyramid.com!riscy@informatik.ee.edag.de
From: peter katzmann <PET@informatik.ee.edag.de>
Date: 29 Jun 93 08:59:50 CET

> On xxx, 27 Jun 1993, Pat Mackinlay wrote:
>
> [lots of good stuff about 34010's deleted becuase we've all read it already
>
> > BTW: I wouldn't expect that using a 34010 would make the graphics
> > system outperform any of the VGAs out there, but it'd be quite
> > interesting, and would leave the main CPU free to do some "real"
> > work. It might even be practical to run PEX stuff <grin>
It will be faster then the normal VGA solution's. We wrote a CAD
package for an PC with TIGA or VGA and the TIGA outperformes the VGA
of about 70% and it wasn't the bist design.

> If we do decide on the 34010 path, I agree with Pat that a gcc port would
> be a huge problem. I'm willing to write a small C compiler for the chip
> from scratch. I'm not offering to port gcc, as I think that such an effort
> is unnecessary. If the chip is going to be driving graphics, code doesn't
> have to be written often, so I think we can live with putting the
> optimizations in the code instead of the compiler.

You don't have to wrote the Compiler from the scratch. There's ans
old C projekt from Dr Dobb's when i'm think right. I have the source
code here for K&R or Turbo C. Several company's rewrote the generator
part for their different single Chip CPU's.

> By small I mean I'm not going to write a floating point library (though
> I'd be happy to integrate with one written by someone else), generate
> anything but straight object code for the 34010 (we don't need dll's,
> etc for a graphics processor), or even acknowledge C++'s existence any
> further then allowing // for comments. Let me know if this is worth
> my time.
If it's necessary i could do it, but not one that's IEEE conform.

----

EDAG-Fulda | P. Katzmann | E-Planung | Steinauer Str.| 6400 Fulda
tel. 0661/6000-454/464 | W. Germany | in: pet@informatik.ee.edag.de