Re: [caret@pyramid.com: Things ...]

To: adyer@zarniwoop, riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: [caret@pyramid.com: Things ...]
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 93 09:35:53 +0200
>> Sound?  Truly simple sound is to use the IBM method.  Not quite as
>> simple sound is the MAC method.  Maybe a handfull of resistors for
>> the DAC and a few resisters and capacitors for a simple filter
>> should be enough; we are not trying to compete with SoundBlasters
>> after all.  Anyone done this kind of DAC?  Isn't it text book stuff?

Why not trying the Analog Devices AD1849 "SoundPort".
It offers:

two-channel 16 bit independent A/D and D/A,
prorammable gain/attenuation,
16bit linar, 8bit u-law and a-law codings,
sample rates from 8 KHz to 48 kHz,
microphone input and
headphone output.

There's a second source too: Crystal CS4215.

This part is used in my Mips Magnum 4000. It's not
really high-end, but it is absolutely ok for a workstation.
I'll try to figure out the price and let you know.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294