Re: Video subsystem...

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Video subsystem...
From: tor@tss.no (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 05:13:45 +0200
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
[...]
>The TMS34010 is *slow*.  It only has a 16 bit memory data bus, which has
>a max transfer of about 6MB/s at 40MHz.  This is because it is a very
>CISCy chip, with a not particularly fast memory interface (partly because
>all addressess are bit addresses, and the hardware is more complex).
>The 34020 is 32bit and probably much faster, but I think it is an
>unnecessary complication.  It would make the video inaccessable from
>the cpu (unless you want shared memory, ugh), making it much harder
>to program.  Neil almost certainly has his own views on this :-).
>
>Neither chip would require another rom on the board.

I've been using a TMS34010-based X-terminal.  I must agree that it is not
very fast, but it is not as slow as e.g. cheap NCD-terminals (I have no
idea what's inside those).  The TMS-based one is kind of middle of the road.
A Sun SLC running X is faster, HP X-terms (pa-based I think) are much much
faster.

Tor