Re: Motherboard manufacturing

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Motherboard manufacturing
From: Patrick Mackinlay <mackinla@cs.curtin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 21:23:17 +0800 (WST)
>Just a thought:  I think most of us on this list are probably pretty
>competent with a soldering iron.  Why don't you offer the motherboard as a
>kit as well?  All we'd need is the PC board and components with some sort

This is probably true enough. One point is that the board will have to
be offered in _both_ kit and "complete" form, otherwise you won't have
as big a target audience (a critical factor with "projects" like this).

I do like the idea of being able to put my own board together, and it
would take some of the load off Neil to start with. Any other comments?
Neil, how would you feel about "shipping" PCBs + components to the
very early board testers? Is it too much trouble from your perspective?
Perhaps some people could even do assembly for you?

>ps. I know next to nothing about MIPS architecture, nor about anything
>else that was mentioned in the hardware design specs.  (The most

As for the MIPS architecture, the book to look for is called "mips RISC
Architecture" by Jerry Kane. I forget the publisher etc, but any good
bookshop aught to be able to get it for you. This book tells you pretty
much all you need to know from the architectural perspective. Believe
me, programming one of these things is _fun_ compared to the 386 <grin>.

>complicated thing that we managed to learn about in undergrad physics are
>op-amps.)  Could someone point me to a reading list some where?  Some tips
>about where and how to get reading material would be nice too.

I don't have much knowledge of electronics theory either, but it's pretty
simple to put things together and learn about how it all works. Digital
electronics is pretty much "connect the dots" these days. The hard parts
are in getting parts (ie: quantity/price/package tradeoffs) and in writing
the software at the end. If you can understand the basics of how a
computer works, it's not too hard to work out how it all fits together
logically...

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
        my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r