Re: UARTs, was : Re 2nd update

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: UARTs, was : Re 2nd update
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 9:44:18 PDT
> Why would you want to put UARTs on the motherboard?  They don't consume
> enough I/O bandwidth to justify hooking them up to the local bus.
> If you include too many fancies, the board gets more complicated and
> more expensive than it needs to be.
> Better stick to things that need the bandwidth, like SCSI, ethernet, video.
> If you want 16552 UARTs, build a simple ISA board with 4 sockets for them.

Yup, but its much easier to debug the ISA bus hardware when you can
talk to the CPU.  Also, almost everyone will use at least one serial port
with this (for a mouse for X); I think it's justified.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com