MC68302 & sound

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: MC68302 & sound
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 9:29:41 PDT
> > The best I've seen is the Motorola MC68302, which has 3 serial ports
> > capable of some very good speed.  However, this guy may be a little
> > too expensive, since its also has a 68000 CPU core in it.
> >
> Well if we do use this 'extra' CPU could we use it for something?  Maybe
> sound?  In any case sound is something to think about.  If we do add it
> would it be a simple DAC or something more complicated?  If set up properly,
> the 68000 (or something more specialized) could combine various waves forms
> to two DACs.  That would be all digital and sound better than most anything
> for the PC.

The 68302 is not that likely.  If I remember rightly it will cost most
of $100 (I should check that).

As for sound, I was thinking of that, but something that could be somewhat
useful to the DSP guys.  This would mean at least a 30KHz variable sample
rate DAC with a variable filter;  This is starting to smell of creeping
featurism.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com