SPIM...

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: SPIM...
From: Carlo J. Calica <calica@cae.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 9:37:31 CDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 66.36.1.2]

> I just thought I'd let everyone know about a software tool that could
> come in extremely handy during initial development. The program is
> called spim (or xspim) and is a MIPS R3k CPU simulator. The program
> compiles under Linux with a bit of fiddling, and seems to perform
> pretty well.
>
> There are a couple of different versions of the program in the source
> distribution:
>
>       spim: assembly-level simulator (text mode)
>       xspim: assembly-level simulator (runs under X)
>
> I haven't looked at either of the cycle-level simulators yet, but I'd
> have to assume they worked ok. There are a few BSDisms in the code that
> can be fixed by modifying some #include <whatever.h> to the appropriate
> #include <bsd/whatever.h> and by linking with -lbsd.
>
> Anyhow, I think it could be quite a useful tool...

SPIM is pretty useful.  I used it in an intro to assembly class here at the
UW.  The binaries ARE available on sunsite under emulators.  The xspim has
a nice interface.  It allows you to step through code.  The emulator reads
in the source at text levels and also takes the a.out files of a compiler.

--
| Carlo J. Calica               | Linux:  Choice of the GNU Generation  |