Re: UARTs, was : Re 2nd update

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: UARTs, was : Re 2nd update
From: Willy Konijnenberg <wfkonij@keg.cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 11:05:50 +0200
You wrote:
> > > National Semi NS16C552V dual 16550 UART
> >
> > Sounds like we have our serial chip...
> >
> Please be sure to use two for a total of 4 UARTs.  I'd like as many as
> possible to hang terminals off of.

Why would you want to put UARTs on the motherboard?  They don't consume
enough I/O bandwidth to justify hooking them up to the local bus.
If you include too many fancies, the board gets more complicated and
more expensive than it needs to be.
Better stick to things that need the bandwidth, like SCSI, ethernet, video.
If you want 16552 UARTs, build a simple ISA board with 4 sockets for them.

Not that my views are relevant, of course, as I am not going to design
the board, and very possibly won't even buy one.

--
        Willy Konijnenberg <wfkonij@cs.vu.nl>
        Department of Mathematics & Computer Science,