Re: MIPS R3000 - 2nd update

To: caret@pyramid.com, riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: MIPS R3000 - 2nd update
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 09:04:43 +0200
Cc: andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de
> IMHO, software compatability should be a more important issue, ie
> with commercial shrink wrap.  If people want to consider Ultrix
> binary compatability, little endian SPIM is the only way to go.
> If there's a SYSV MIPS ABI, we should comply with the endianness
> of that.

There is a MIPS SYSV ABI and it is big-endian. SGI is big-endian too.
So far I know is a Mips Magnum 3000 one of the reference platforms
for Mips-RiscOS 5.01, Irix SVR4 and Sony News. The Magnum 3000
is big-endian. It does not support switching to little-endian.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294