Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:26:11 PDT
> >I've heard rumors about cheap EISA support chipsets anyone know how much
> >it would add?
> >

> If we are going to build this mother board, I was thinking that it might
> be wise to have a slot or two (sort of like a local bus or a Mac's CPU
> slot) which allows high speed access to memory and the CPU.  We may
> eventually want to build upgrade CPU cards, or co-processor(s), or
> whatever.  The point is, from past experience, no matter how well designed
> a mother board is initially, someone will find a need to add faster
> components to it later on and having to do that thru an ISA slot will be a
> real liability.  So I think if having such a thing doesn't add too much to
> the complexity and/or cost of the mother board, we should give it serious
> thought.

Adding a high speed bus like many have proposed adds to the complexity.
Reliable high speed bus design could be considered an art.  I'm waiting
to see how the main bus stuff panes out before looking into that.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com