Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?
From: Carlo J. Calica <calica@cae.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 16:31:36 CDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 66.36.1.2]
> Going from memory (I'm at USENIX and my notes are at home):
>       79R3051E-20     $79     (non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
>       79R3051E-40     $155    (non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
>       79R3081E-40     $297    (FPU, 8k I-cache, 16k D-cache)
> I have prices for all of the various speeds and packages but that's all
> I can remember.

So we're looking at a $150 price difference.  But it also doubles the cache.
Personally I'm in favor of dropping Ethernet and video for the FPU.  If we
keep the ISA video we retain the ability to use a somewhat modified XFree
rather than rewriting it.  I also have no use for Ethernet either.  SCSI
should be kept though.  Where else can we cut cost a little to get the FPU?
Or should we increase the cap to <$600 with the FPU.

--
| Carlo J. Calica               | Linux:  Choice of the GNU Generation  |