Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?
From: Hai Pham <pham@pX4.stfx.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 15:33:29 -0300
On Jun 23,  2:10, Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu> wrote:

>I've heard rumors about cheap EISA support chipsets anyone know how much
>it would add?

If we are going to build this mother board, I was thinking that it might
be wise to have a slot or two (sort of like a local bus or a Mac's CPU
slot) which allows high speed access to memory and the CPU.  We may
eventually want to build upgrade CPU cards, or co-processor(s), or
whatever.  The point is, from past experience, no matter how well designed
a mother board is initially, someone will find a need to add faster
components to it later on and having to do that thru an ISA slot will be a
real liability.  So I think if having such a thing doesn't add too much to
the complexity and/or cost of the mother board, we should give it serious
thought.

hai
pham@px1.stfx.ca