Re: Mips 3000 vs 486 (int and fp)

To: <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>, <riscy@pyramid.com>
Subject: Re: Mips 3000 vs 486 (int and fp)
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 09:39:32 +0200
Hi there !

> Not sure if I believe the below Intel plays some strange games to
> get HIGH performance (53 mips for a 486-66???? I never saw more then 30),
> but here it is... IMHO these numbers are unrealistic.  I'm sure SGI
> spent less time getting those numbers then Intel did.

I think you're right. I have seen benchmarks (from Intel, of course :-))
where an i486/33 were faster than an R3000... Have they measured nops ?

Anyway, the FPU-version of the R3051/2 called R3081 doesn't have more
cache, so far I know. And I don't think that it's faster than
a R3000/3010 combination with the same clock. The architecture is
exactly the same, only on a single die.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294