Re: Bootrom and other useless stuff.

To: riscy@pyramid.com, wolff@dutecai.et.tudelft.nl
Subject: Re: Bootrom and other useless stuff.
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 09:28:06 +0200
Cc: andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de
Hello !

> I think I may have made a mistake. It seems that this group is talking about
> a new motherboard. I thought we were talking about an accellerator card
> like thing. This may make the "bootrom" less "useless".

Yes, it looks like that we are talking about an accellerator card.
The x86 motherboards acts as a "big cpu-controlled power supply" :-)
Nevertheless, there should be a boot prom. I just have finished
a design where slave cpus load their code from a shared ram.
I will *never* do this again !

Andy

P.S.: I might have to introduce myself too...
Please excuse my rather bad English. I'm a german, working
for Waldorf Electronics. We build high-end synthesizers and
other music stuff.
My job is hardware design and low-level programming,
mostly assembler code for 68K. I have experience with Mips-CPU's
too. We are using mips-machines for development, and I wrote
an R3000-Assembler for a 68k-based development system.

Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Department
c/o Andreas Busse
Neustrasse 9-12
D-5481 Waldorf
Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294