Re: Mips 3000 vs 486 (int and fp)

Subject: Re: Mips 3000 vs 486 (int and fp)
From: Patrick Mackinlay <mackinla@cs.curtin.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 15:25:40 +0800 (WST)
>Added cost??  Not sure on this one, doesn't the fpu version also include a
>bigger cache?  (this is a BIG win if we don't have a second level cache.)

I believe it does include a larger cache.

[...lots of benchmarks deleted...]

Looking at some old mail from Steve, I see numbers of US$180 for the
40MHz '51 versus US$450 for the 40MHz '81. Obviously, the numbers have
probably changed since then, but the big gap is probably still there.
Seeing as we have a US$500 "cap" on the board, using the '81 would
severely limit the design...

On the general topic of benchmarking 486dx66's versus R3Ks: one thing
to remember is that the R3K is the _old_ MIPS architecture - equivalent
to the 386 in x86 terms. MIPS has most definitely moved onto the R4K
now, which offers >Pentium performance. Also note that the R4K _can_
execute the older 32 bit R3K code...

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
        my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r